08:07 pm, Monday 3 October, 2011
A worker from the Ballina Shire Council was hospitalized after having eaten cookies, which were offered to him by a colleague while having their regular tea break.
The worker, believed to have been paralyzed as a result and may have also suffered a heart attack, ate the cookie without suspecting it was contaminated. The cookies are apparently laced with drugs.
The Lismore police was on the scene to investigate, as soon as the managers of the company reported the incident. Drug testing was done and the employees were indeed positive to have drugs in their system.
The worker who was said to be responsible for bringing the cookies to the “smoko” of the company’s waste management facility, may be charged for drug supply. He was suspended from his job immediately following the incident but has already served the suspension and is now back at work.
The police further said the investigation is complete and they are now seeking legal advises as to the handling of the proceedings. If charged, the worker may be sacked from work permanently.
WorkCover is doing a separate investigation on the matter, upon learning of the incident from the company’s managers, as well.