12:35 pm, Wednesday 7 March, 2012
The hero lifeguard Stuart Keay.
Photo: Brisbane Times
A construction worker was revived by a Gold Coast lifeguard after being shocked by 11000 volts of electricity on a building site on Tuesday.
Brisbane Times report that the lifeguard was patrolling Mermaid Beach when he was called to help the victim. “My friend who is a builder on the site ran down to me and said ‘come quick, one of the workers is dead from electrocution,” said 58-year old Veteran council lifeguard, Stuart Keay.
Mr Keay did not hesitate to run to the scene, where he found the worker unconscious.
“He was cyanosed, he was blue,” said Mr Keay.
The victim’s co-workers were resuscitating him when he arrived at the scene. Mr Keay used a defibrillator to revive the man.
“We started the heart massage again and we did that until the machine said ‘stand clear, shock’ advised.
“We shocked him again and then continued resuscitation and heart massage. I could feel a pulse but I waited to see what the machine said.
“It said, ‘no shock advised.’ I knew then that he had a strong pulse.
“We rolled him on his side and he actually started to breathe.”
The victim was brought to the Gold Coast Hospital in a stable condition.
The 30-year old worker was shocked when the concrete truck pump he was using came in contact with overhead power lines.