12:34 pm, Monday 6 August, 2012
SafeWork SA reminded South Australians who undertake high risk work that the deadline for second year conversions to the new national Licence to Perform High Risk Work is coming near.
According to a news release by SafeWork SA, the new Licence applies to all people who work with forklifts, cranes and hoists, scaffolding and pressure equipment, or who engage in rigging and dogging work.
The new Licence will replace all previously issued ‘tickets’ and qualifications in South Australia and will be implemented over a five-year transition period through September 2015.
“We are currently in the second year of the five-year conversion schedule,” said SafeWork SA Executive Director, Bryan Russell.
“This means that anyone who holds an OHS Certification Australia Card or a Notice of Satisfactory Assessment (NSA) for forklift operation issued between 4 April 1995 and 31 December 1998 must convert their qualifications before 1 September 2012,” he said.
“Both the SafeWork SA Help Centre and the High Risk Work Conversion Line have experienced a dramatic increase in calls over the last few months as the deadline nears.”
“The conversion process takes several weeks from application, so people should not leave this until the last minute or they may not be licensed to work from 1 September,” said Mr Russell.
The Licence can be used in any state of territory in the country and provides photo identification and lists all classes of high risk work that the holder is authorised to perform.
Workers with these qualifications that fall within the date range are advised to call the High Risk Work Conversion Line on 1300 975 909. Callers are required to have on hand their original card showing the qualifications they have, the date of issue and details of any other high risk work qualifications.