Plumbing company fined for safety breach

Reported by Haydee | 02 Nov, 2013

A plumbing company in Darwin was convicted and fined $5000 for storing acetylene cylinders in an enclosed van, even after being given a formal warning by NT WorkSafe. The company was fined in Darwin’s Court of Summary Jurisdiction under the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act after pleading guilty to the charge of …

Business charged over tradesman’s death from gas explosion

Reported by Haydee | 15 Jan, 2013

Photo: SafetyCulture Library A company has been charged over a gas explosion which killed a tradesman in December 2011. The Darwin-based company could face fine of up to $650,000 once the Northern Territory Work Health Authority secures a conviction. According to NT News, the company appeared in Darwin Magistrates Court on Monday and was charged …

Gas Explosion Injures Two at Charity Event

Reported by Zoe | 04 Dec, 2012

According to authorities an LPG gas bottle exploded inside a Lions food van on Saturday afternoon. The incident happened at a Christmas charity event in the Redlands Showgrounds in Brisbane. Two charity workers were injured in the incident, a 67-year woman and a 55-year-old man received burns to their legs and bodies. Both were in …

New safety plug for gas cylinders

Reported by Haydee | 29 Mar, 2012

Gas explosions have become the cause of some recent injuries and deaths in Australia. In January 2012, a gas bottle explosion almost killed a Newcastle man. A young Darwin tradie was killed in December 2011 when a gas cylinder exploded inside his van. Incidents caused by gas leak and explosions have prompted Heldon Products Australia …

Worker burnt after item he was disposing exploded

Reported by Haydee | 24 Feb, 2012

Photo: Bill Hearne Source:The Daily Telegraph A worker at a domestic airport suffered burns to his face when an item he was disposing exploded overnight. The Daily Telegraph reports that the 20-year old victim was disposing of the can into a bin when it suddenly self-ignited. NSW Ambulance Inspector Michael Corlis said they will try …

WorkSafe appeals to Victorians to make workplaces safe

Reported by Haydee | 13 Dec, 2011

“Make safety improvements today, because tomorrow may be too late.” This was the message of WorkSafe’s news release in relation to yesterday’s fatality from gas explosion. WorkSafe appealed to all Victorians to take immediate action in making all workplaces and equipment as safe as possible. General Manager for Operations, Lisa Sturzenegger said that WorkSafe is …

Refrigeration mechanic dies from exploding van

Reported by Haydee | 12 Dec, 2011

A refrigeration mechanic died from serious injuries after a van exploded in a suspected gas leak in Melbourne’s south-east this morning. The victim who was in his mid-20s was leaving for work when the accident happened outside his home at Stadium Circuit at Mulgrave. Arson and explosives squad Detective Senior Constable Mick Cashman said that …