SA: Electrician Dies at Winery

Reported by Admin | 04 May, 2011

Inspectors from SafeWork SA are investigating a workplace incident which occurred at a Riverland winery at Renmark yesterday. A 28 year old electrician was inspecting a capping line machine, when he suffered an electric shock. He died at the scene. WorkSafe Inspectors have removed the item of plant involved while the investigation proceeds.

QLD: Two Contractors Die from Electric Shocks

Reported by Admin | 26 Mar, 2011

Two electrical contractors have died from electric shocks in the Townsville area over the past two weeks. The deaths prompted a warning from one Townsville electrician who said such tragedies were inevitable because cyclone damage had made many buildings treacherous. Attempts were made by ambulance officers to save a man 50s who suffered an electric …

Rules Prevent Senators from Fixing Own Lightbulbs

Reported by Admin | 21 Oct, 2010

Politicians and their staff reckon they can handle changing a lightbulb. However, existing occupational health and safety rules require a qualified electrician to do the job. The situatation was brought up during a Senate hearing when Liberal Eric Abetz told his colleagues about his experience. He said he was prevented from replacing a lightbulb in …

VIC: Campbellfield Companies Told to Prepare for Safety Blitz

Reported by Admin | 24 Sep, 2010

WorkSafe inspectors will visit small businesses in Campbellfield next month to find out if they have heeded its message on safety. The safety blitz, which will be held from October 11 to 15, is part of a WorkSafe campaign focusing on the most common and preventable injuries. The area was last visited by WorkSafe in …

VIC: 229 Notices Issued in Braeside Safety Blitz

Reported by Admin | 18 Sep, 2010

WorkSafe Victoria inspectors have uncovered a heap of safety breaches in Braeside after conducting an intensive safety inspection. WorkSafe personnel visited 140 small businesses in Braeside during a five-day safety blitz, and issued 229 infringement notices. Some of the safety issues found included grinders lacking machine guards, improper storage of dangerous goods, exposed electrical wiring …

QLD: Industry Group Says Safety Switches Could Have Saved Insulation Installer’s Life

Reported by Admin | 16 Sep, 2010

Safety switches could have saved the life of an insulation installer who was electrocuted in central Queensland last year, Master Electricians Australia (MEA) said. A 16-year-old man was killed in November 2009 after receiving electric shock in a Rockhampton home in November while installing insulation. In the court hearing on the young man’s death, the …

QLD: Employers Admit Fault Over Insulation Worker’s Death

Reported by Admin | 15 Sep, 2010

The employers of an insulation installer who died in central Queensland last year have pleaded guilty to violating safety laws. A 16-year-old worker was electrocuted while working in the roof of a Rockhampton home in November 2009. The teenager’s death is one of four linked to the insulation program of the Federal Government, which was …

VIC: Metro Communications Put Workers At Risk

Reported by Admin | 02 Aug, 2010

The emergency communication system has to change at the rail network in Melbourne, a union says. According to the Electrical Trades Union, the inadequacy of the Metro’s communications system was revealed during  Tuesday’s power outage. A train reportedly entered a zone where workers were performing repairs to a damaged wire. According to State Secretary Dean …

WA: Ignored Notices Lead to Fines for Hotel

Reported by Admin | 10 Jul, 2010

Ignoring WorkSafe’s improvement notices has led a $3,000 fine for a Northhampton hotel. WorkSafe inspectors visited the hotel in September 2008 and issued six improvement notices. The notices covered a number of issues in safety procedure, most of which were in connection with electrical wiring. The safety body’s inspectors made a follow up visit, only …