BleijieJarrod

Electrical safety in ceiling spaces campaign launched

Reported by Haydee | 19 May, 2014

Attorney-General and Minister for Justice Jarrod Bleijie, launched a new roof safety campaign which aims to warn workers about electrical safety risks when working in ceiling spaces.  Caboolture News reported that Mr Bleijie stood beside the father of Matthew Fuller, the first worker killed while installing insulation in 2009, to announce the program. The campaign …

WorkCover: Ensure safety in working around electricity and powerlines

Reported by Haydee | 21 Jan, 2014

Photo: SafetyCulture Library WorkCover NSW reminded workers to observe safety when working with electricity and powerlines after a recent analysis revealed that there had been two electrocutions and 14 electric shocks in a recent 12-month period. The WorkCover analysis covers data from August 2012 to August 2013. “In one instance, a worker was installing air-conditioning …

MEA: WA Government should act on illegal electrical work to ensure safety

Reported by Haydee | 20 May, 2013

Photo: SafetyCulture Australia Master Electricians Australia has called on The Western Australian Government to take illegal electrical work seriously, and to direct more inspection resources to discourage unsafe do-it-yourself electrical works in homes. MEA urges the Government to do the following actions: Conduct major media campaign by highlighting electrical safety and the dangers of unlicensed …

Call to make safety switches mandatory among Victorian homes

Reported by Haydee | 13 May, 2013

Photo: SafetyCulture Library Master Electricians Australia has called on the Victorian Government to order the immediate legislation of safety switches as mandatory in all Victorian homes to avoid accidents. MEA Australia VIC state manager Carl Rankin said now is the best time for Victoria to act against electrical fatalities and injuries. “We’ve seen a shocking …

NECA warns against unsupervised electrical work of apprentices

Reported by Haydee | 25 Feb, 2013

Photo: SafetyCulture Library The National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA) issues a warning today reminding everyone that electrical apprentices should never undertake live electrical work nor work without suitable supervision. The warning was issued following two incidents in the ACT where apprentices suffered electrical shocks while working unsupervised on metal ladders. NECA is involved in …

Changes to Electrical Safety Act will put more people at risk, says union

Reported by Haydee | 18 Sep, 2012

Photo: SafetyCulture Library Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie has recently introduced a bill to state parliament to amend the Electrical Safety Act 2002. A report from AAP says the government will abolish the electrical safety commissioner, safety education committee and the equipment committee. An elected chairman will replace the commissioner and advisory committees will replace permanent committees …

Electrical Safety Recall of Extension Leads

Reported by Haydee | 27 Jun, 2012

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) issued an electrical safety recall for a selection of HPM white extension leads. The extension leads were sold nationally between 1 March and 14 June 2012 in Mitre-10, Officeworks, Dick Smith Electronics and Big W. According to NT WorkSafe Executive Director Laurene Hull, the wires in the leads …

VIC: Worker Shocked Erecting Power Pole

Reported by Julia | 08 Sep, 2011

Last week, a man suffrered an electric shock at work as he was erecting a pole near powerlines in Cranbourne West, a suburb of Melbourne. Paramedics treated the 55-year old at his workplace. Intensive care paramedic Yvette Mersits said the crew arrived to find a man suffering burns. He had been erecting a pole on …

QLD: Insulation Company Fined After Worker Electrocuted

Reported by Julia | 01 Sep, 2011

A Queensland court this week fined a Gold Coast insulation company $100,000 over the death of an installer. The employee aged 22, was electrocuted while installing insulation at Millaa Millaa in far north Queensland last year. His employer pleaded guilty to failing conduct its business in a way that was electrically safe. The Magistrate ordered the …

WA: Contractor Fails to Disconnect Electricity Before Demolition

Reported by Julia | 07 Jul, 2011

The Perth Magistrates Court has fined a demolition contractor $5000 for failing to disconnect the electrical supply to a demolition site. The contractor pleaded guilty to undertaking demolition work that was not performed in accordance with the relevant Australian Standard. In November 2010, he was engaged by a property owner to demolish a single-storey residential building …

VIC: Company Fined After Worker Burnt

Reported by Julia | 14 Jun, 2011

A Melbourne-based company has been fined $25,000 after a sub-contractor suffered an electric shock and third degree burns to almost half of his body. The amount of the fine is practically the same as that imposed on a Brisbane company after an electrical apprentice was burnt, as reported by SafetyCulture on Friday. The sub-contractor received …

QLD: Company Fined after Electrician Burnt

Reported by Julia | 10 Jun, 2011

A business has been fined $24,000 in the Brisbane Industrial Magistrates Court after an electrical apprentice suffered bodily harm whilst he conducted testing on live equipment. The company was charged for breaching Section 27 of the Electrical Safety Act 2002 in failing to conduct its business in an electrically safe manner. The court heard the …

QLD: Inquiry into Painter’s Electrical Death

Reported by Julia | 03 May, 2011

Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) is investigating the death of a painter who was killed in an electrical accident last week. He had been painting a tall signage structure near overhead powerlines on a property that had been undergoing refurbishment for the past one and a half months. There were only a few finishing touches left …

VIC: ‘Be Careful’ Warning Not Enough, Employer Learns

Reported by Julia | 12 Nov, 2010

“Telling your workers to ‘be careful’ isn’t going to cut it,” WorkSafe Victoria’s Executive Director for Health and Safety Ian Forsyth said after the prosecution of an employer over the death of a worker. The Melbourne Magistrates’ Court has fined the owner of a building company $30,000 after a man fell to his death in …

QLD: Firm charged over use metal fasteners in insulation installation

Reported by Julia | 11 Nov, 2010

A Sunshine Coast company is facing charges for using metal staplers to secure insulation in a home in Pelican Waters. The owner and operator of the company has been charged by the Queensland’s Department of Justice and Attorney-General with breaching section 27 of the Electrical Safety Act 2002. The charges allege that ceiling insulation was …

SA: 37 Injuries Recorded in Desal Plant Construction

Reported by Julia | 28 Oct, 2010

SA Water has revealed in a parliamentary inquiry that 37 injuries have been recorded in connection with the construction of the Adelaide desalination plant. The inquiry heard that in 27 of the cases medical treatment had been required. In seven cases, workers needed time off to recover. The inquiry was also told that nine workers …

TAS: Mental Stress a Headache for Tasmanian Workplaces

Reported by Julia | 26 Oct, 2010

Mental stress has been identified as one of the primary causes of workplace injuries in Tasmania, a State official reveals. David O’Byrne, Tasmania’s Minister for Workplace Relations, said that of the 9,273 injuries reported in 2009, 372 were caused by mental stress. “On a national level, statistics show that more than three million people in …

VIC: Companies, Director Prosecuted After Overhead Powerline Accident

Reported by Julia | 26 Oct, 2010

Two companies and a director have been fined after a worker touched an overhead powerline on a construction site. The Melbourne Magistrate’s Court has convicted the construction company responsible for the site and its director on Thursday. They were fined $30,000 and $20,000 respectively. The roofing company that employed the 21-year-old victim was also convicted …

Rules Prevent Senators from Fixing Own Lightbulbs

Reported by Julia | 21 Oct, 2010

Politicians and their staff reckon they can handle changing a lightbulb. However, existing occupational health and safety rules require a qualified electrician to do the job. The situatation was brought up during a Senate hearing when Liberal Eric Abetz told his colleagues about his experience. He said he was prevented from replacing a lightbulb in …

VIC: Inspections Highlight Unsafe Farm Plant and Equipment

Reported by Julia | 19 Oct, 2010

Safety issues over plant and equipment remain a major concern for the agricultural industry, WorkSafe Victoria reveals. WorkSafe inspectors have issued over 200 safety improvement notices to farm businesses from July to September as part of a year-long statewide farm safety campaign. Now in its third month, the campaign focuses on the most common causes …

Insulation Scheme Behind 197 House Fires

Reported by Julia | 19 Oct, 2010

Only a small percentage of homes insulated under the Federal insulation program have been affected by fire, the Climate Change Department claims. The Government axed the insulation scheme after it was linked to deaths of four insulation installers and hundreds of house fires. Martin Bowles of the Climate Change Department told a Senate committee that …