Electricians

Electrical safety campaign launched

Reported by Haydee | 29 Jun, 2015

A new information campaign has recently been launched to educate people on the importance of installing safety switches.

Electricians

Warning on DIY repairs on electrical equipments

Reported by Haydee | 28 May, 2015

The Electrical Safety Office is calling on electrical contractors to remind customers not to try doing their own electrical repairs following the death of a man this month where a vacuum cleaner was found disassembled, live parts exposed.

WorkCover: Ensure safety in working around electricity and powerlines

Reported by Haydee | 21 Jan, 2014

Photo: SafetyCulture Library WorkCover NSW reminded workers to observe safety when working with electricity and powerlines after a recent analysis revealed that there had been two electrocutions and 14 electric shocks in a recent 12-month period. The WorkCover analysis covers data from August 2012 to August 2013. “In one instance, a worker was installing air-conditioning …

Worker Resuscitated at Scene After Electric Shock

Reported by Admin | 03 Dec, 2013

A worker was resuscitated at a power company worksite last week after the elevated working platform that he was working on contacted a power line. According to Ambulance Victoria, Paramedics were called to the work site in Ballarat rural Victoria at 2pm to attend to a man in his 50’s who had suffered an electric …

Hazard of electric shock associated with excessive sweating whilst using mains powered tools

Reported by Haydee | 30 Aug, 2013

NT WorkSafe recently released a safety alert on electric shock hazards associated with excessive sweating whilst using mains powered tools. The alert aims to highlight the risks of electric shock to workers sweating excessively whilst using mains powered tools. “During the build-up temperatures easily reach or exceed 35°C and the humidity  levels can rise as …

Man receives electric shock in QLD worksite

Reported by Haydee | 14 Aug, 2013

Photo: SafetyCulture Library A man was revived by his colleagues and paramedics after his heart stopped following an electric shock. According to The Queensland Times, the worker was on top of a roof when he accidentally drilled a screw into a live electrical wire Tuesday morning. The 35-year-old worker touched the guttering and received electric …

Worker Receives Electric Shock at Restaurant

Reported by Admin | 26 Jul, 2013

A worker at a Brisbane pier restaurant received a severe electric shock this afternoon and was transported to hospital for treatment. The incident happened at about 1.40 this afternoon and the worker, believed to be a chef, was taken to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital.

Two Seriously Injured at Meatworks

Reported by Admin | 21 May, 2013

Two workers suffered serious injuries at a meatworks in Warrnambool on Sunday. The factory was closed by WorkSafe Victoria pending an investigation into the incident that left one man with life threatening injuries and a second in a serious condition. The incident happened on Sunday afternoon, according to WorkSafe inspectors both received an electric shock …

NECA warns against unsupervised electrical work of apprentices

Reported by Haydee | 25 Feb, 2013

Photo: SafetyCulture Library The National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA) issues a warning today reminding everyone that electrical apprentices should never undertake live electrical work nor work without suitable supervision. The warning was issued following two incidents in the ACT where apprentices suffered electrical shocks while working unsupervised on metal ladders. NECA is involved in …

WorkSafety ACT lashes at site manager for its safety comments

Reported by Haydee | 28 Jan, 2013

The ACT’s Work Safety Commissioner, Mark McCabe has lashed out at the manager of an apartment site in Canberra where an apprentice suffered from electric shock last Thursday. According to a Fairfax Media report, Mr McCabe accused the building site manager of dismissing the injury as an incident which could not have been prevented. The …

Workers walk off the job after electric shock incident

Reported by Haydee | 25 Jan, 2013

Photo: SafetyCulture Library Workers of an apartment site in Canberra have walked off the job after an apprentice electrician suffered from an electric shock in Canberra on Thursday. The apprentice was working alone on a platform ladder and received shock from a live circuit which she thought has been switched off. (Read SafetyCulture Report). According …

Electrical Safety Recall of Extension Leads

Reported by Haydee | 27 Jun, 2012

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) issued an electrical safety recall for a selection of HPM white extension leads. The extension leads were sold nationally between 1 March and 14 June 2012 in Mitre-10, Officeworks, Dick Smith Electronics and Big W. According to NT WorkSafe Executive Director Laurene Hull, the wires in the leads …

Worker in critical condition after suffering from electric shock

Reported by Haydee | 08 Jan, 2012

A 47-year old worker is in a critical condition after suffering from electric shock while setting up speakers at Buninyong. According to The Courier, the victim was putting speakers to a tree before 12pm on Friday, when one of the cables came into contact with an overhead power line. Ballarat Police said that he was …

NSW: Coroner Testifies on Worker’s Death

Reported by Admin | 07 Jun, 2010

The coroner has stated in an inquiry that an electrician who was killed in 2008 was most likely electrocuted while working near powerlines in southern NSW. The inquiry heard the 53-year-old man was found near live powerlines at a Mulwala factory in December 2008 just before collapsing. He was taken to a hospital, but he …

TAS: Broadband Installation Hits a Snag

Reported by Admin | 30 Apr, 2010

Construction in connection with broadband installation in Tasmania has been stopped after a worker received an electric shock from a power pole. The Federal Government’s National Broadband Network (NBN Co.) is responsible for installing the new high-speed network as a nation building project. NBN Co. head Mike Quigley has confirmed the accident, which took place …

VIC: Factory Worker Dies in Melbourne

Reported by Admin | 03 Mar, 2010

WorkSafe is looking into the death of a worker in a factory in Melbourne on Friday. The 26-year-old Wantirna resident was working on a machine at CRP Industries in Bayswater at the time of his death. According to WorkSafe spokesman Michael Birt, they are determining whether the man died of electric shock. He was believed …