03:21 pm, Tuesday 21 August, 2012
Consumption of soft drink instead of water may have contributed to a young man’s death from heat stroke in November 2009 while installing insulation, an inquest heard.
The man died on his first day of work installing insulation batts at a home at St Clair in Western Sydney. Courier Mail reported that the young man had no experience and was filling in for a friend who was sick to do the job.
The owner of the home where the victim was installing insulation batts gave him a Coke which may have triggered fluid loss by causing frequent urination.
The victim was the third of four people to suffer fatal injuries while working under the Home Insulation Program, which was ended in February 2010 because of safety issues.