12:34 pm, Friday 11 May, 2012
According to Yahoo News, the bus driver stopped to collect more children and asked some students to make space for more passengers when he was suddenly punched in the face.
The Education Department is conducting an investigation on the incident but said that it is too early to lay blame and that there is no evidence violence occurred.
The victim suffered a few minor injuries and was back at work on Thursday.
The 16 year-old student from Helensvale High involved in the attack made his own complaint against the bus driver.
Scott Connelly from the Transport Workers Union condemned the attack, saying it was a malicious, surprise attack that the driver did not see coming.
“It was a vicious, unprovoked assault on the driver, who was just trying to do his job,” said Mr Connelly.
“He’s fallen to the ground; just smashed in the face by this youth. Straight afterwards, a teacher on the bus wrestled the youth to the ground.
“If we’re focused to, we’ll look at putting a ban on this school until the situation’s fixed.”
Director General for Education Glen Hoppner said that Education Queensland is unable to substantiate any of the allegations at this stage.
“We’ll thoroughly investigate it and we’ll find out the facts.”
Just last month, another driver abandoned his bus claiming that the students were abusive.
The union says that there have been 15 assaults on Gold Coast bus drivers in the past 12 months, resulting to an urgent meeting with the Transport Minister demanding for tighter security.