A plumbing business in Sydney has been fined $75,000 after the death of a worker following a fall through a warehouse roof in January 2016.
The 61-year-old employee was replacing asbestos roof sheeting and installing new roof safety mesh and insulation at a warehouse in Greenacre when the incident occurred.
The man was fatally injured after he fell 8.7 metres through the roof onto a concrete floor.
Safe Work Executive Director, Tony Williams, said the company was sentenced at the Sydney District Court for failing to comply with health and safety laws.
“All roof sheeting should be treated as fragile until a competent person has confirmed they are not,” Mr. Williams said.
“Opcon Plumbing should have prevented the man from walking on the asbestos roof sheets, as well as ensuring the worker was using an individual fall restraint system.”
Mr. Williams said the risks were even higher because the existing roof safety mesh was in the process of being removed.
“This tragedy should serve as a strong reminder to all businesses that worker safety should always be the number one priority,” Mr. Williams said.