NSW Government cracks down on dodgy operators using portable gas appliances dangerously

Gas Installation SWMS_200x200px

The NSW Government is cracking down on operators using portable gas appliances dangerously in restaurants.

According to the Minister for Better Regulation Matt Kean, a recent Safework NSW blitz of restaurants, cafes and bakeries found an alarming rate of workplaces using portable appliances unsafely.

“During the blitz, SafeWork visted 432 food businesses, where they found 99 were using portable gas appliances in breach of work health and safety laws.” Said Mr. Kean.

“We’ve seen shocking cases of workers with horrific injuries when gas appliances aren’t used correctly, and have caused explosions and fires.

“We are taking a zero tolerance approach to any business which chooses to blatantly flout the rules and seriously risk the safety of workers and consumers.

“The safety of staff and customers absolutely must come first.”

Just recently, a 35-year-old man suffered severe burns when a gas cylinder stored in a cafeteria at a Lismore racecourse exploded.

Mr. Kean reminded operators that commercial kitchens should be cooking with gas connected to fixed mains or industrial cylinders, which must be stored and handled in accordance with dangerous good laws.

“The use of portable gas appliances indoors puts workers and customers at risk of fire, explosion and asphyxia,” said Mr. Kean.

“If you must use a portable gas appliance in your business, ensure it is only operated in well-ventilated areas, regularly check for leaks, turn it off when it’s not in use, and avoid storing it indoors.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *