A West Gosford chemical manufacturing company has been fined nearly $50,000 after a worker suffered first and second-degree burns while mixing a batch of chemicals to make an adhesive product in 2016.
Minister for Better Regulation Matt Kean said the worker was splashed on his leg with the hazardous liquid.
“This young man was left with serious burns on his left leg and had to undergo surgery for multiple skin grafts,” Mr. Kean said.
“The worker did what he thought was right, by removing his clothing and washing his skin.
“But because he’d never been properly trained in how to deal with that particular dangerous chemical, important first aid steps weren’t followed.
“That’s shocking because this worker had been with the company for nearly 10 years.”
The company was fined a total of $48,750 in the District Court of NSW and convicted of failing to ensure the health and safety of its workers, and failing to notify the regulator of a notifiable incident.
“This is an example of employers not putting their workers first. They have a responsibility to ensure every worker has access to adequate training and a safe working environment,” Mr. Kean said.