A South Australian energy company has been fined $114,000 over an incident in which a worker suffered serious burns to his arms and minor burns to his face while undertaking live electrical work in March 2016.
The South Australian Employment Tribunal on Wednesday found that the company had inadequate WHS systems in place at the time of the incident.
SafeWork SA Executive Director Martyn Campbell said the successful prosecution was a reminder to businesses and workers of the crucial importance of safe work procedures.
“Every business should ensure workplace hazards are identified and risks are eliminated or controlled,” Mr. Campbel said.
“It is essential for organisational leaders to encourage workers to take care of their safety and also provide them with the appropriate training, equipment, and support to do their job in the safest way.”
The company admitted that it failed to undertake adequate hazard identification and risk assessment processes for the work being conducted the day of the incident.