Worker in hospital after welding incident

Hot_Works_SWMS_200x200px__54548.1393993576.220.220

Photo: SafetyCulture Library

SafeWork NSW is investigating an incident that occurred in South Windsor where a worker was welding on top of a vat when a flash over occurred.

The man was reportedly thrown approximately 5-10 metres across the floor.

The incident happened on Wednesday.

He was taken to hospital with severe burns to the lower body.

Early this year, SafeWork NSW  issued a safety alert reminding workplaces of the precautions required when carrying out hot work, for example grinding, welding, oxy cutting or other processes which produce a flame or other ignition source.

According to SafeWork NSW, serious or fatal injuries can occur when hot works are undertaken on or in close proximity to flammable or combustible materials/ substances without appropriate control measures.

Prior to carrying out any hot work on site, it is essential to implement a hot work permit system, which includes a detailed review, to identify all potential hazards associated with the proposed hot work activity and to eliminate the hazards or, where this is not reasonably practicable, control the resulting risks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *