Safe Work Australia welcomes feedback on the recommendations of the review of the model Work Health and Safety (WHS) laws.
Miss Marie Boland led the public consultation process in 2018. The final report of the review was published in February this year.
The review found that the model WHS laws are operating as intended. However, it identified areas where stakeholders are experiencing confusion or consider the laws to be overly complex.
Key recommendations include:
- Introducing regulations dealing with psychological health
- New arrangements for health and safety representatives (HSRs) and work groups in small businesses
- Clarifying workplace entry of HSR assistants and WHS entry permit holders
- Providing HSRs with choice of training course providing a process for resolving disputes about WHS issues
- Including gross negligence as an element of the Category 1 offence
- Introducing an industrial manslaughter offence
“We were pleased with the high level of engagement during the Review. We want to hear from those who have already provided comments during the Review, as well as those who have not participated before,” said CEO, Michelle Baxter.
Consultation will be open for six weeks. Deadline for written submissions is on Monday, 5 August 2019.
A consultation page is available providing information and details on how to participate.