Worker injured after fireworks malfunction at rural show in Darwin


A pyrotechnics worker and three children have been injured after fireworks at a rural show in Darwin malfunctioned.

The incident happened when the fireworks were released “at a lower height than planned” a spokesperson told ABC News.

Three children were treated at the scene for burns following the incident on Saturday night.

The injured worker was transferred to the Royal Darwin Hospital but was later discharged.

“Pyrotechnics is obviously very well risk managed in any part of the world, particularly Australia,” show communications manager John McNeur said.

“It would appear that there was a partial failure in one of the uplift charges, and accordingly, the fireworks discharged at a lower than anticipated height.”

NT WorkSafe is investigating the incident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *