SafeWork NSW warns against assaults on safety inspectors following a number of recent assault incidents.
SafeWork regulator and Secretary of the Department of Finance, Services and Innovation, Martin Hoffman, said it was not acceptable that two inspectors were allegedly assaulted in the last two months while at work.
“SafeWork staff are out there in the field to help businesses comply with health and safety legislation and to keep workers safe – any violent or aggressive behaviour displayed against our inspectors will not be tolerated,” he said.
“Police are currently investigating after two separate incidents which occurred on November 2 last year and on January 17 this year.
“SafeWork NSW inspectors play a vital role in securing the health and safety of workers and as such, they should be afforded the same level of respect and protection as every worker.”
Mr. Hoffman reminded businesses and individuals that it is a criminal offence to assault, threaten or intimidate an inspector.
“The maximum penalties for persons convicted of intimidating or assaulting a SafeWork NSW inspector are a $50,000 fine or imprisonment for two years or both for an individual or in case of a body corporate a $250,000 fine,” said Mr. Hoffman.
“All workplaces have the obligation to not just provide necessary access to the workplace but to be honest and provide information as requested.
“We will investigate all instances of alleged intimidation and assault of SafeWork NSW inspectors, we will report such instances to NSW Police and where warranted, we will prosecute those offences.”