Image: Hilmi Hacaloğlu (VOA)/Wikimedia Commons
Firefighters risk lives to save people. Photo: SafetyCulture Library
Australia records lowest work-related deaths in 11 years; Photo: SafetyCulture Library
An independent audit of the state’s mine safety system has uncovered critical gaps in Tasmania’s mine safety regulations.
Each year hundreds of Australian workers die from work-related injuries. Safe Work Australia recorded more than two thousand work-related deaths over the past eleven years. The agriculture, forestry and fishing industry recorded the highest number of fatalities in 2013 (49), followed by the transport, postal and warehousing (46) and construction (19) industries.
New data released by Safe Work Australia showed that Australian workplaces have recorded the lowest number of work-related deaths in 11 years.
Feedback is being sought from businesses which manufacture, handle or use products that contain one or more of the 84 toxic chemicals of security concern as well as members of the community on the measures designed to minimise the risks of common chemicals being used to make toxic weapons.
A review of the operation of South Australia’s Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (WHS Act), which commenced on 1 July is expected to be completed by November 2014.
New health statistics from South Australia reveal that every year, over 300 people are injured in farm accidents.
With over 460 lives lost in the past one week through fatal crashes, the International Air Transport Association has promised to “leave nothing unturned” to boost safety in the aviation industry
Reliable risk management programs are necessary if serious incidents such as the 2012 drill rig accident in a Hunter Valley coal mine are to be avoided.
Search operations for a seafarer who fell overboard from the vessel MT Sigma Integrity on Sunday morning north-west of Carnarvon, Western Australia has been concluded.
Also Making News
- Jul| Stockman injured in cattle station incident
- Jul| Worker killed after trench collapses at Fortitude Valley worksite
- Jul| Man Missing After Falling Off Crude Oil Tanker
- Jul| Currimundi business goes up in flames
- Jul| Engineering Issue Forces Tigerair Plane To Divert Flight
- Jul| Cane Train Derails in Bundaberg
- Jul| Train Full of Sugar Cane Derails at South of Mossman
- Jul| Fair Work Commission orders halt to industrial action at Barangaroo
- Jul| Truck Smashes Through Bridge Railing, Driver Unhurt
- Jul| Worker killed in Bobcat incident
- Jul| Charges laid for worker’s death in ACT
- Jul| NSW farmers invest on safety improvements
- Jul| Networking breakfast to promote healthier workplaces conducted
- Jul| SafeWork SA reminds employers and workers of their work health and safety responsibility
- Jul| Driver Injured After Cotton Truck Rollover